Electric tramway on St. James Street (1907)
Public transportation has existed in Montréal for over 150 years. In fact, the first tramways, which were horse-drawn at the time, began operating on the city’s streets on November 27, 1861. Although the company has changed its name several times and became a public corporation in 1951, it has always fulfilled its mission to provide Montrealers with fast, reliable, economical transit service. The following texts and pictures provide a glimpse of the history of the tramways (1861 to 1959), buses (since 1919), métro (since 1966) and paratransit service (since 1980).