Only handicapped* persons whose disabilities seriously compromise their mobility are eligible for the paratransit service. The eligibility policy of Quebec's Ministère des Transports determines eligibility and the procedure for processing applications.
Any person meeting the following two criteria is eligible:
- *is a handicapped person, i.e., a person with a deficiency causing a significant and persistent disability, who is liable to encounter barriers in performing everyday activities
- has limited mobility justifying the use of paratransit. Only the following disabilities shall be considered for eligibility purposes:
- inability to walk 400 metres on even ground
- inability to climb a step 35 centimetres high with support, or descend without support
- inability to make an entire trip using regular public transit
- inability to keep track of time or find their bearings
- inability to handle situations or behaviour that could compromise their own safety or that of others
- inability to communicate verbally or through sign language;this limitation alone does not qualify the applicant for paratransit eligibility.