Over the next three days, the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) will run a campaign encouraging customers to purchase their monthly passes in advance and avoid having to wait in the particularly long lines expected on Monday, March 2.
At the start of every month, 250,000 customers purchase their monthly passes in stations. The lines are particularly long when the first or second of the month falls on a Monday, which will be the case in March, June and November of this year. These “critical” months generate the longest lines at fare vending machines in stations at the start of the month.
To alert customers to this situation, squads will be present at nine high-traffic stations on February 26, 27 and 28, and posters will be put up at the fare vending machines at key stations. Other incentive measures will be implemented throughout the year.
Monthly passes are available for purchase as of the 20th of the previous month.
Other ways to purchase
- Subscribe to OPUS à l’année: http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/subscriptions/opus-lannee
- Go to one of the 400 retailers (convenience stores, pharmacies, businesses) that reload OPUS cards: http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/list-authorized-retailers
Did you know?
- The STM sells around 425,000 monthly passes every month.
- 250,000 (58%) of these sales take place in stations.
- Two thirds of monthly pass sales in stations take place over a single two-day period.
- The majority of passes are sold between 7:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., followed by the evening rush hour between 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.