MR-63 reclamation approach honoured at Novae gala
The quality of the work performed by the STM to ensure reclamation of the MR-63 métro cars, and its conclusive results, motivated the jury of the Novae Citizen Enterprise Awards to present it with an award in the “Residual Materials Management” category.
The quality of the work performed by the STM to ensure reclamation of the MR-63 métro cars, and its conclusive results, motivated the jury of the Novae Citizen Enterprise Awards to present it with an award in the “Residual Materials Management” category. The Novae Awards recognize best practices in sustainable development and social responsibility in Québec.
After 50 years and more than 4 million km travelled by each car, the 333 MR-63 métro cars are gradually being retired and replaced with AZUR cars. The STM has undertaken a rigorous approach involving many stakeholders, with the aim of maximizing the environmental, social and economic benefits of their disposal.
Several avenues were explored regarding reuse, such as sale to other transit corporations, a call for special projects for reuse of the cars, and reuse of the parts. Given the number of MR-63 cars, recycling is essential to maximize their reclamation and reduce the STM’s ecological footprint.
Results of the approach
- Following a call for tenders, a selection committee chose the company responsible for dismantling and reclamation, based on precise criteria, including sustainable development.
- Thus, over 7,100 of the 8,200 tonnes of materials from the 333 MR-63 métro cars will be reused, for a reclamation rate over 85%. Nearly
- The reuse of more than 50 types of parts on the MR-63 cars still in service, the MR-73 cars and the locotractors is resulting in major savings.
- Revenue generated by the sale of material for recycling and sale of the cars for special projects.
- Essential contribution to the potential realization of promising and original special projects chosen as finalists after the call for projects. These projects seek to keep the MR-63 cars present in the Montréal and Québec landscape, because they are closely linked to Montréal’s history.
Green from beginning to end
The MR-63 métro cars have transported millions of people since their commissioning in 1966, without emitting GHG. It was therefore logical for the STM to ensure their disposal according to rigorous sustainable development criteria. The approach it initiated in this sense has been productive and the STM is very proud to accept the honour awarded today, which recognizes the work accomplished.