In preparation for the UITP Global Public Transport Summit that will be held in Montréal in 2017, yesterday the summit's hosts, the Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) and the Société de transport de Montréal (STM), unveiled the members that will make up its honorary committee, chaired by Montréal mayor Denis Coderre. The presentation was held at Montréal City Hall as part of a prelude to the 2017 summit and brought together the leading members of the International Association of Public Transport (UITP).
Montréal, November 27, 2015 – In preparation for the UITP Global Public Transport Summit that will be held in Montréal in 2017, yesterday the summit's hosts, the Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) and the Société de transport de Montréal (STM), unveiled the members that will make up its honorary committee, chaired by Montréal mayor Denis Coderre. The presentation was held at Montréal City Hall as part of a prelude to the 2017 summit and brought together the leading members of the International Association of Public Transport (UITP).
"Montreal moves, Montreal is rebuilding, Montreal shines more and more internationally and the World Summit of public transport in 2017 is an eloquent testimony. As for all major cities of the world, public transport still plays an important role in the development of the Montreal metropolitan area. I thank them for agreeing to serve on the honorary committee. I am convinced that their contribution will be exemplary and that the organization of the 2017 Summit will benefit, " said the Mayor of Montreal, Mr. Denis Coderre.
"We are very proud to be organizing the next Global Public Transport Summit—a not-to-be-missed event for all stakeholders involved in public transportation development. It will be an opportunity to discuss and take inspiration from best industry practices," explained Paul Côté, AMT President and CEO.
"From our first efforts to host this prestigious summit in Montréal, we have had the support of various Montréal stakeholders, and this new step confirms their commitment. In fact, the committee will support the STM and AMT in their responsibilities as local hosts of the event," added Philippe Schnobb, Chairman of the STM Board of Directors.
On the honorary committee, Messrs. Coderre, Côté and Schnobb will be supported by Robert Poëti, Québec Minister of Transport and Minister responsible for the Montréal region, and by Alain Flausch, UITP Secretary General. They will also be able to count on the following public personalities from the business, transport and tourism sectors (presented in alphabetical order):
- Daniel Beauchamp, General Manager, Association du transport urbain du Québec
- Pierre Bélanger, Director General, Association québécoise du transport intermunicipal et municipal
- France Chrétien Desmarais, President and Executive Committee member, Committee for Montréal's 375th anniversary
- Steven Guilbault, Cofounder and Senior Director of Équiterre
- Florence Junca-Adenot, Associate Professor at UQAM and Director of the FORUM Urba 2015
- Dominique Lacoste, President and CEO, Association québécoise du transport et des routes
- Yves Lalumière, President and CEO, Tourisme Montréal
- Raymond Larivée, President and CEO, Palais des congrès de Montréal
- Michel Leblanc, President and CEO, Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
- André Leclerc, President and CEO, Kéroul
- Patrick Leclerc, President and CEO, Canadian Urban Transit Association
- Éric Martel, President and CEO, Hydro-Québec
- Catherine Morency, Associate Professor and Chairholder of the MOBILITÉ Chair, Polytechnique Montréal
- Ève Paré, President and CEO, Hotels Association of Greater Montréal
- Michael Sabia, President and CEO, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
UITP Global Public Transport Summit – Montréal 2017
Formerly known as the UITP World Congress & Exhibition, the Global Public Transport Summit was created 130 years ago. The event has evolved and expanded over the years, reflecting the enormous innovation in the sector and the increasing attention and importance given to sustainable transport. This is the first time Montréal will host the event, which is held every two years.
The Montréal summit will allow international players from the public transport industry to discuss and explore new ways of developing the sector's activities by taking part in training and networking events, as well as an exhibition. This major event will take place at the Palais des congrès de Montréal, from May 15 to 17, 2017, and will bring together more than 9,500 delegates and visitors, as well as 350 exhibitors.
It is worth repeating that Montréal was chosen as host city after a long nomination process, and thanks to the joint efforts of the AMT, STM, Palais des congrès de Montréal and Tourisme Montréal.
The International Association of Public Transport (UITP) brings together public transport authorities and operators. It represents an international network of 3,400 members from 92 countries. UITP’s head office is located in Brussels and the association counts ten regional offices around the world.
For more information on the summit and to register: www.uitpsummit.org/
Fanie Clément St-Pierre Isabelle A. Tremblay
Advisor – Media Relations Corporate Advisor, Public Affairs
Agence métropolitaine de transport Société de transport de Montréal
Tel.: 514 287-2464, extension 4143 Tel.: 514 280-4940