What to do in case of emergency in the métro station
If someone is experiencing a cardiac event
Defibrillators in métro stations
Automated external defibrillators are available in all stations. Each can be found in a case near the fare booth with wall signage indicating its location.
Automated external defibrillators were designed to be used by the general public. No medical training is required. Once the device is turned on, it will give the user verbal instructions.
Outremont and Angrignon stations
Defibrillators will be installed at the end of the ongoing construction work.
How to use an automated external defibrillators
In case of an incident or if you witness an incident
- Locate the emergency station. There is at least one on every métro platform, identified by special blue lighting.
- Pull the red handle to cut power to the tracks ONLY if someone has fallen onto the tracks
- Pick up the red phone.
- Follow the instructions of the Métro communication centre employee.
What to do in case of emergency inside a MÉTRO CAR
Use the INTERCOM in case of an incident or if you witness an incident
- Use the intercom located in the middle of the car near the doors.
- The intercom allows you to speak with the train operator.
- Once the incident has been reported, an STM employee will wait for you on the platform of the next station to help you or the other person in need of assistance.
Use the EMERGENCY BREAK for serious emergencies only
- It is located in the middle of the car near the doors.
- If possible, pull the emergency brake when the car is stopped at a station and the doors are open. The operator can then intervene more quickly and easily.
- If the emergency brake is pulled while the train is moving, the train will generally stop in the station or at the next one.
- The train operator will go to the car where the brake was pulled to assess the situation.
Travel support teams
Different teams are present throughout the metro network to support customers in their daily commute. Find out more about these teams here.
Adopt safe habits
KEEP YOUR DISTANCES
For your safety, stand behind the yellow line.
NEVER GO ONTO THE TRACKS
In case of an incident, locate the emergency station on the platform, pull the red handle to cut power to the tracks and pick up the red telephone.
PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BELONGINGS
- Carry your purse or backpack close to and in front of you, ensuring that all pockets are securely closed
- Keep your phone, tablet, or laptop out of view whenever possible
- Secure your luggage