Lighting improvements in stations
BRIGHTER, SAFER LIGHTING IN MÉTRO STATIONS
To increase the comfort and safety of our users, we will begin lighting improvement work in several métro stations in 2018.
A 3D image as if you were there
Only three steps for safe, optimal, subtle and efficient lighting:
1st step: We start by taking a photometric survey of the stations.
2nd step: We make 3D models of the sites using simulation software (AGi32). This enables us to reproduce the station or sites requiring lighting upgrades in 3D and insert the new lighting fixtures as if we were there (photos 2 : Fabre station and simulation - lighting improvement to be completed this year)).
3rd step: We are replacing the old mercury vapor lighting fixtures with metal halide lamps, florescent tubes or LEDs. The lamps and tubes provide lighting similar to natural light and are easily replaceable (photos 3 : Crémazie station before and after lighting improvement work).
- Some fixtures are at the end of their service life
- Some fixtures provide insufficient lighting
- Maintenance has become almost impossible, especially at heights and above the escalators
In 2018, the lighting team will improve the lighting in the following stations:
- De Castelnau
- Lighting improvement work will lead to safe, optimal, subtle and efficient lighting
- Safer passenger travel thanks to a well-lit environment for everyone
- Easier for the maintenance team to safely and efficiently carry out work on lighting fixtures
- Increased passenger comfort
Did you know?
- Each platform has more than 150 lighting fixtures.
- Relamping involves replacing old mercury vapor lighting fixtures with metal halide lamps, florescent tubes or LEDs. This work is carried out every three years. The lamps and tubes provide lighting similar to natural light and are easily replaceable.
- Maintenance costs can be reduced since metal halide lamps installed at heights can be replaced using a pole instead of elaborate scaffolding.
This work is made possible through funding from the ministère des Transports du Québec.