Reduced Fares for Students 12 - 25 Years Old
Paying the reduced fare
Eligibility criteria |
Photo sessions |
STM Photo Studio | |
Where to obtain transit fares |
Available transit passes | Validity
| Cash payment
To pay the reduced fare, you must first obtain your photo ID OPUS card
|Students 12 to 25 years old must have a registered photo ID OPUS card to purchase and use reduced fare STM passes.
If you want a reduced fare transit pass, be sure to have a registered photo ID OPUS card.
Note: If you do not have the photo ID OPUS card, you cannot load it with any reduced transit fares! You will have to pay the regular fare.
There are two easy ways of obtaining your OPUS reduced fare privilege:
- From the end of August until the end of October each year, photographers from STM Photo Studio visit over 100 schools and other academic institutions.
A list will be available in July.
- Starting August 1, go to the STM Photo studio
at 1717 Berri Street, Berri-UQAM station. The Studio is also open on weekends, check the schedule.
Eligibility criteria for reduced fares
To be entitled to reduced fares, you must meet the following conditions:
- Study full time at an institution recognized by the ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport du Québec (MELS);
- Be under the age of 26 on October 31 of current year.
Photo sessions at your School
The list of schools on the photo ID tour will be available in July.
Bring with you:
- Proof of age (medicare card, student ID card, etc.) showing that you will
be under 26 years of age on October 31, 2013;
- Proof of full-time school attendance delivered by an institution recognized
by the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport du Québec school form
or Proof of academic attendance form signed by a school administrator and stamped with official school seal;
- $14 IN CASH (exact amount only)
STM Photo Studio
Go to the OPUS card delivery station the STM’s Photo Studio (1717 Berri Street, Berri-UQAM
station) with the following documents:
Customer notice: the Photo Studio is moving to 1717 Berri Street as of March 1, 2013
Fill out and print the
- If you are under 14, the printed form signed by parental authority;
- Proof of age;
- Proof of full-time school attendance with the seal of the institution (for students 16 to 25 years old);
- $15 IN CASH (debit and credit cards are not accepted)
Where to obtain transit fares
The different types of transit fares that can be loaded on the card are all available from métro fare collectors or fare vending machines, as well as from any one of the
500 retail outlets located in a neighbourhood near you.
Because the card is registered, it will be possible to recover the fare balance should the card be damaged, lost or stolen. Please note, however, that a replacement fee will apply.
Consult the Replacement guarantee section for more details.
Available transit passes
All reduced fares are available for use by students 12 to 17 years old. However, only the STM’s reduced fare monthly pass and
the AMT’s student fare monthly pass can be used by students 18 to 25 years old.
Since October 31, 2010, you no longer need to renew your eligibility for reduced fares each year. Your eligibility remains valid for the full period
indicated on the back of the card (see expiry date).
If you turn 26 during the school term (after October 31), your fare privilege will terminate August 31 of the following year.
Cash payment is accepted for the regular fare only, even upon presenting a registered photo ID OPUS card.
Recovering fares from an expired card
If you are issued an OPUS card when the photographer visits your school, any remaining transit fares on your old card are not automatically transferred onto the new one. Hold onto your old card as these transit fares are still valid. To transfer them onto your new OPUS card, go to
Customer Service Centre or one of the following